"It’s too late to eat Pringles."
…the entire thing is full of big, flowery words, half of which I’ve had to look up in a dictionary to understand. Here are a few choice excerpts:
This seemingly altruistic practice is in fact motivated by the tacit assumption that it is reciprocal
the exalted appellation
inimical to the scrutiny process
doesn’t seem to me to be the panacea we are seeking
the pernicious consequences that misallocation of credit
Seriously, I’ve had to read about 1,500 words of this. And finally I reach the conclusion and I’m graced with this:
clarify the authorship process and rub out practices of
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! ‘ERASE’?! DO YOU FUCKING MEAN ‘ERASE’?! ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN’T MEAN TO WRITE ‘EXPUNGE’? OR ‘EFFACE’?! IS THIS WHERE YOU DREW THE FUCKING LINE?!
your friend Katherine is a whore.
My friend Katherine is a SAINT!
"Throughout the history of evolutionary biology, one general question remains most puzzling: ‘how and why do organisms produce a suitable adaptation where it is needed?’ "
I think I’m going to be sick. Everything has just clicked into place and this just became my religion versus science internal battle and I don’t know how to do that because it’s always been simple for me and suddenly it’s not. And I can’t do this again.
I can’t have another self versus religion battle because the last time was over my sexuality and it nearly killed me.
I’ve always said science and religion are not mutually exclusive and
I’m crying. I’m bawling my eyes out and I really hope this is just because I’m tired but I can’t stand this already.
[from this earlier post]
Actually, those almost seem like fair questions, HOWEVER:
- Voting is a valuable and cherished right that many people have fought and died for. Other comparisons tend to fail because voting is not a purchasable, nor an easily revoked privilege like flying or driving —how many people were tarred and feathered or murdered because of fighting for their “right” to fly or drive?
- The 24th Amendment makes poll taxes illegal. Requiring someone pay —directly or otherwise— for the right to vote is neither democratic nor patriotic
- Voter ID laws disproportionately impact disabled, the poor and the elderly —all groups that often lack “proper ID.”
- Many college students (and older people) simply do not drive —and thus have no need for a state issued driver’s license. I know people who live in New York who have never, ever owned a license or a car
- Students have used their college IDs to vote in elections for decades. But suddenly, after the 2008 and 20012 election results, Republican led legislatures have found cause to suppress their votes. Additionally, it is worth noting such Voter ID restrictions tend to be more lax in districts that have consistently voted for Republicans. Why is that?
- Many states requiring an “official government ID” to vote have simultaneously reduced drivers license office hours and/or completely closed many offices, thereby making it even harder to obtain the very type of ID they’re mandating
- Some elected Republican officials like Mike Turzai have said that Voter ID laws were being passed for the expressed purpose of rigging an election. Other elected Republicans like Bill O’Brien, have openly stated they simply do not want college students voting because they tend to vote for Democrats
- ALEC, a GOP/Koch Brothers political organization, is directly responsible for the surge of voter suppression laws seen in the last decade. ALEC’s founder, Paul Weyrich, was quoted as saying, “I don’t want everybody to vote. Our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.”
- There have been more elected GOP officials found guilty of Election Fraud than actual voters committing voter fraud
- Voter ID laws are “solutions” to a problem that does not exist. Voter ID laws are a Republican response to Republicans losing elections, not to fixing voter fraud. There has been a comprehensive study—at the behest of many Republicans—which showed that in more than a decade of voting, exactly 10 people engaged in voter fraud. That’s 10 people out of the millions who voted since the year 2000. And some of those likely did so unknowingly (ie, voted at the wrong voting precinct, or were genuinely unaware they were ineligible to vote, etc.)
But surely a drivers licence isn’t the only form of photo ID in the US? Maybe it’s because in Australia, voting is mandatory, and you must produce valid photo ID to vote, but to me this doesn’t seem like voter suppression at all. It’s just another safeguard - better safe than sorry.
In Australia, we have four or five photo ID forms legal around the country, that I can immediately think of. Beside the obvious (passport, drivers licence) we also have a Keypass, which is a photo ID if you don’t have a drivers license and allows access to alcohol, clubs, and other age-restricted events, and a Proof-of-Age card, which does the same thing.
Does the US not have similar items? And in which case, that is a separate issue to what is being called “voter restriction”.
The names our zoo comes up with just make me want to work there more.
Snoop Hoggy Hog
SNOOP HOGGY HOG
A quick editorial cartoon about the intersection of self-pity, entitlement, rape, territoriality, misogyny and fear of women. You see it all over the place online in the form of Men’s Rights Activists (of whom there are a few reasonable non-misogynists), Men Going Their Own Way, Pick Up Artists, and dudes touting the “Red Pill”, because The Matrix is a good movie. Look any of these up if you have the stomach for it. These are extreme examples, but watered-down forms of these ideas are everywhere.
In lurking their blogs and youtube channels for a while, I’ve noticed that beyond the standard patriarchal chauvinism there is this deep fear of women - what they will do to me, how they will reject me, how they will use me, how they are changing society in a way that does not favor me, how they are making men into something I don’t like, how they are making themselves into something I don’t like, that they won’t give me what I want, and that they won’t give me what I think is rightfully mine. This goes beyond fear of feminism- this is fear of women at its purest. And that, to quote a puppet, leads to anger and hate. It’s sad.
I am a feminist. I think there’s enough ice cream to go around, but it does mean those of us with 3 scoops might have to give one or two up. Also, The Matrix is a fun movie but probably not anything you should be basing a philosophy on.
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT STILES IS LITERALLY THE ONLY PERSON DEREK PROTECTS WITH ALL HIS ABILITY. I MEAN IN THE FIRST GIF DEREK KNOWS THAT HIS UNCLE IS NOW THE ALPHA, AND FOR MOST PEOPLE IT’S “FAMILY FIRST” RIGHT? BUT INSTEAD HE TELLS STILES TO GET OUT OF THE WAY SO HE CAN TAKE HIS MOTHER FUCKIN UNCLE DOWN AND KEEP STILES FROM GETTING KILLED. IN THE SECOND GIF, IT’S ISAAC’S FIRST FULL MOON AND HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE’S DOING, HE JUST SEES A CHANCE TO ATTACK, AND THE WAY THAT DEREK LOOKS AT STILES CROUCHING BEHIND THE DESK IS LIKE “OH HELL NO ISAAC DON’T YOU MOTHER FUCKIN DARE” AND THEN HE GOES ALL ALPHA ON HIS ASS AND LATER STILES IS LIKE “HOW’D YOU DO THAT” AND DEREK IS LIKE “I’M THE ALPHA” BUT WHAT HE REALLY MEANT WAS “I’LL DO ANYTHING TO PROTECT YOU LITTLE BABY STILES”. IN THE POOL SCENE, THE KANIMA ATTACKS ERICA BEFORE IT ATTACKS DEREK, AND DEREK DOESN’T EVEN BLINK. HIS ONLY CONCERN IS STILES STILES STILES MOTHER FUCKIN PROTECT STILES AND THAT’S WHAT HE DOES. HE PHYSICALLY TURNS AROUND TO PUSH HIM AWAY, AND EVEN SCOTT WHO’S BEEN DATING ALLISON SINCE THE MOMENT HE LAID EYES ON HER, DOESN’T PHYSICALLY TURN AROUND TO TELL HER TO RUN AWAY. WHAT THE FUCK DOES THIS SAY ABOUT THEIR RELATIONSHIP, HUH? ANYWAY THIS RESULTS IN THE KANIMA SCRATCHING THE BACK OF DEREK’S NECK AND PARALYSING HIM, WHICH LEADS TO THE KANIMA HOLDING THEM HOSTAGE IN THE POOL FOR TWO HOURS. THEN DEREK SAYS “DON’T LET ME GO” AND “YOU DON’T TRUST ME, I DON’T TRUST YOU” BUT STILES LETS HIM GO ANYWAY TO GET HIS PHONE BECAUSE HE DOES TRUST DEREK, DEREK HAS SAVED HIS ASS MORE TIMES THAN HE CAN COUNT AND NOW IT’S HIS TURN TO RETURN THE FAVOUR. AND I’M NOT EVEN DONE YET. IN THE LAST ONE, DEREK HAS TO GO SAVE SCOTT’S MOTHER FUCKIN ASS AGAIN SO HE TELLS STILES TO BREAK THE CIRCLE OF MOUNTAIN ASH SO HE CAN GET THROUGH. AND STILES’ FACE IS LIKE “SHIT MAN REALLY I JUST WORKED SO HARD ON THIS CIRCLE CRAP” BUT HE STILL DOES WHAT DEREK ASKS BECAUSE HE TRUSTS THAT DEREK KNOWS WHAT HE’S DOING AND HE CARES ABOUT SCOTT MORE THAN HE CARES ABOUT SOME STUPID CIRCLE OF MOUNTAIN ASH. THEN DEREK SQUEEZES HIS SHOULDER BEFORE HE RUNS OFF LIKE HE’S REASSURING HIM THAT IT’S GOING TO BE OKAY, AND SILENTLY THANKING HIM AND RECOGNIZING HIS HARD WORK. AND STILES’ FACE IS LIKE “WAIT HE JUST SQUEEZED MY SHOULDER WHAT DOES THAT MEAN DEREK NEVER SHOWS AFFECTION TOWARDS ANYONE EVER” BUT HE DID, THEN. HE DID SHOW AFFECTION. I’M JUST SAYING THAT WE’VE NEVER SEEN DEREK WOLF OUT ON STILES, LIKE HE DOES WITH SCOTT WHEN THEY HAVE A BITCH FIGHT EVERY OTHER EPISODE. AND I’M JUST SAYING THAT I’VE NEVER SEEN DEREK COME TO HIS OWN PACK’S SIDE FASTER THAN HE COMES TO STILES’ SIDE. AND I’M JUST SAYING THAT YES, STILES DOES ANNOY THE SHIT OUT OF DEREK AND MOST OF THE TIME HE FEELS LIKE SLAMMING HIS FACE INTO THE WALL, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO LIFE AND DEATH SITUATIONS DEREK DOESN’T EVEN HESITATE TO STEP UP AND PROTECT STILES. I’M JUST SAYING.